Here is my list of the top 15 changes I would like to see for Alaska Native people in 2015. I’m dreaming big!
- Decreasing the high rate of cancer for Alaska Native people
- Full exoneration of the Fairbanks Four
- Language and cultural revitalization. Learn one Alaska Native word, dance, song or art. The resources are there, including people who are willing to share and teach
- Less Alaska Native children in foster care. More Alaska Native foster care parents
- Less alcohol and drug abuse
- Less negativity. See the good in each other
- Less racism, more understanding
- Lower the high rate of domestic violence and sexual abuse against Alaska Native people
- Lowering statistics of Alaska Natives using tobacco
- Lowering the disproportionate rate of Alaska Natives incarcerated
- More action. Less laziness and excuses
- More Alaska Natives at the decision-making table of policy-making affecting them
- More respect for subsistence hunting and fishing rights
- Reducing the suicide rate among Alaska Native people
- Stronger connect to the land. Get out there and explore, wherever you might be
I am grateful for people and organizations whose mission it is to focus on these issues. One of the reasons I have this blog is to focus on the many great things people are doing in our world, and I will continue to do that. I do not like to dwell on the negative, but I think we need to put the issues out there and have a dialogue about them. We can’t ignore the issues. We have the power to make change and there are solutions.
What changes and solutions would you like to see? Which one(s) resonate with you?